The thyroid, located in the front of the neck, is a small butterfly-shaped organ. It plays a mighty role in your health by producing hormones which travel throughout the body. These hormones regulate our hearts, digestion, muscle control, and equally important, brain development. As a result, you need your thyroid to be performing well to feel well. There are many essential oils for thyroid support, but first, a little more about why it’s so important ….
Thyroid hormones affect your metabolism rate, which means how fast or slow your brain, heart, muscles, liver, and other parts of your body work.
If your body works too fast or too slowly, you won’t feel well. For example, if you don’t have enough thyroid hormone, you might feel tired and cold. Or, if you have too much thyroid hormone, you might feel nervous, jumpy, and warm. source
The thyroid is controlled by the pituitary gland which oversees thyroid hormone production. Additionally, it tells the thyroid to make more or less according to what the body needs. The pituitary gland is even smaller, about the size of a pea, yet still vitally important to our health. In fact, we can use essential oils for thyroid and pituitary support to keep our body working at it’s best. The best essential oils for thyroid support are Lemongrass, Myrrh, Clove, Frankincense, Basil and Peppermint.
Essential oils for thyroid support
- Myrrh – Because Myrrh is very high in Sesquiterpenes (75%), it is a strong support for the thyroid. Sesquiterpenes also stimulate the limbic system, hypothalamus, pineal and pituitary glands. Combine with Clove, Lemongrass and Frankincense for a daily thyroid support blend (see recipe and graphic below)
- Frankincense – Frankincense, also known as the “King of oils”, is a powerfully supportive oil for the body. Its complex chemistry, coupled with a high ratio of Monoterpenes (25%), make it a multi-purpose oil and a strong support on a cellular and DNA level. Furthermore, Frankincense is calming for the immune and nervous systems, skin and emotions. Combine with Lemongrass, Myrrh and Clove for a daily thyroid support blend (see recipe and graphic below)
- Clove – Clove is a powerful antioxidant and immune support for the body. High in phenols which stimulate the immune and nervous system, they further help keep your cells performing well. Combine with Lemongrass, Myrrh and Frankincense for a daily thyroid support blend (see recipe and graphic below)
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass is high in aldehydes (up to 80%). This works to calm the nervous system, relieve stress and promote relaxation while also being uplifting. Combine with Clove, Myrrh and Frankincense for a daily thyroid support blend (see recipe and graphic below)
- Basil – Basil is actually known as a fabulous support for the adrenal system. When the thyroid is out of balance then the adrenals usually are too, and visa versa. So support for one is support for the other. Dilute Basil and apply over the adrenal glands (on both sides of the back, just under the rub cage) daily.
What Role Do The Adrenal Glands Have With Proper Thyroid Function?
The adrenals are your “life saving” organs because they control your body’s hormones and help you survive in stressful situations. They act as control organs for your “fight or flight” response and secrete many of our most important hormones including: pregnenolone, adrenaline, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol.
When your adrenals are constantly stressed, this sets off an autoimmune, inflammatory response in your entire body. The adrenal-hypothalamus-pituitary feedback loop regulates the secretion of cortisol. All of your organs and your immunity are impacted negatively by the resulting constant assault of cortisol. Low adrenal function can actually cause someone’s thyroid problem to be much worse than it would be otherwise. source
- Peppermint – Peppermint gives us a natural energy boost. If you’re tired, it’s a wonderful pick-me-up during the day, especially in those late afternoon hours. Try it in a diffuser, put a drop in your hands to inhale or just smell from the bottle. It is also supportive to the thyroid.
Daily thyroid support blend recipes:
To be applied daily over the thyroid (highly diluted for daily use) :
In a 10mL roller bottle combine….
3 drops Frankincense
3 drops Myrrh
2 drops Lemongrass
2 drop Clove
Top with Fractionated Coconut oil
To be applied daily on the bottom of the feet and/or thyroid reflexology points (less diluted for the feet):
In a 10mL roller bottle combine….
5 drops Lemongrass
8 drops Frankincense
5 drops Clove
8 drops Myrrh
5 drops Basil
Top with Fractionated Coconut oil
Energy boost thyroid support blend recipe:
Combine 4-6 drops of Wild Orange or Citrus Bliss with 2-3 drops of Peppermint in a water-based diffuser
OR put 1 drop of Wild Orange or Citrus Bliss and 1 drop of Peppermint directly in your palms. Rub together and inhale for a quick pick-me-up.
Essential oils for thyroid support or sore, achey muscles for the bath:
Lifelong Vitality pack for Thyroid Support
Essential oils are a great support for the thyroid. Even so, our diet and nutrition always plays a key role in our health as well. DoTERRA’s Lifelong Vitality pack includes vitamins, minerals and omegas that are equally important for thyroid, adrenal and hormonal health. The pack includes a multi-vitamin VMz, an omega blend xEO mega and a cellular support blend Alpha CRS+. The lifelong vitality pack offers these benefits:
- Cellular Longevity/lifespan
- Powerful DNA Protection
- Cellular Energy/Metabolism
- Network Antioxidant Defense
- Cellular Inflammatory Response
- Immune System Support
- Stress Management
- Cardiovascular Health
- Bone and Joint Health
- Brain/Cognitive Health
- Digestive Health
The Lifelong Vitality pack also includes these key elements proven to support the thyroid:
- Selenium – supports healthy hormone balance
- Iodine – supports healthy thyroid function. Foods that contain Iodine include fish, seaweed, eggs, raw dairy and sea vegetables. Its also in doTERRA’s multi-vitamin VMz which is part of the Lifelong Vitality Pack (LLV).
- B12 – beneficial for the central nervous system, cell health, natural energy
- DHA, EPA Omega -3s fish or plant oils – critical for brain and thyroid function and immune support. Over 1000 mg are included in the xEO mega portion of the LLV pack.
These supplements make a profound difference for those that take them – including me! I can tell right away when I’ve forgotten to take mine. These supplements fill in the nutritional gaps and so you will have more energy and feel fantastic! They are a key part of my daily self care.
Diet, of course, plays a KEY role for all of our body systems. Do your research, but in general, avoid processed sugars, grains, unhealthy oils, etc. for optimal health.
Finally, don’t forget about SLEEP. Getting enough sleep, to bed by 10, also helps your adrenal glands stay on a healthy schedule. In fact, this greatly affects your other organs as well (like the thyroid) and keeps your ENERGY up! Click HERE to learn more about essential oils for sleep.
Here’s to healthy thyroids! I hope this helps you support your thyroid with essential oils.
Have questions? Need help deciding whats best for you?
Email me [email protected] and I’ll be in touch very soon. Happy oiling! I look forward to working with you!