Hello fellow yoga-lovers! First – I’m not a yoga pro. I’m only a beginner but I’ve quickly fallen in love. Yoga is my favorite way to de-stress. The benefits for health and mind have been well proven. My naturopath has actually prescribed daily yoga as part of my current detox plan. De-stressing is part of helping your body be freed up to detox! And OF COURSE we can use essential oils for yoga too. (What can’t we use them for?)
Often I get emotional out of gratitude to have that space to be quiet and calm and turn my mind off … that doesn’t happen a lot as a busy mom of 5. And it feels amazing – even if you aren’t good at it yet! We have a new studio open by us and I’m excited to try them very soon! So whether you are a life-long yogi, intermediate or brand new here are some amazing ways to incorporate doTERRA essential oils into your yoga routine…
Essential oils for Yoga
- Peppermint – feeling tired or unmotivated to go to class? Put a drop in your hands and inhale to wake your mind up, help you focus and give you a little natural energy boost.
- Citrus Bliss – this citrus blend is uplifting and inspires creativity. I put a drop in my hands and breathe it in before heading into every single yoga class I take. It’s also great if you feel fatigued afterwards. Make sure to drink a lot of water after too!
- Balance – aka “the grounding blend”. This blend contains mostly tree oils and like trees, it helps you feel rooted and secure yet still flexible and able to go with the flow of life. Apply to the bottom of the feet before and after class. Also great to diffuse.
- Melaleuca/Tea Tree – This is great for cleaning your mat! Just add a few drops to a spray bottle, spray and wipe down. You can add Lavender as well.
- Lavender or Serenity – Need to shake off life before you being your yoga? Use Lavender or the Serenity blend (a lavender-based blend) to calm your mind and body. Apply to forehead, heart and/or wrists.
- Breathe – Breath is important in yoga. Physically this oil helps open up the respiratory system so you can take the deepest, most cleansing breaths possible. Emotionally Breathe helps you with acceptance and compassion. Both good things to have for yourself during your yoga practice (and always!)
“Never use more than three oils in your routine, because there is a lot of energy being processed in a yoga session, and you want to prevent overload. Also, make sure that you ask about sensitivity to essential oils before you begin. You will need to pay attention to the general feeling of the class to determine which oils to use.” – dōTERRA Diamond and certified yoga instructor, Adabelle Carson
You can use essential oils aromatically, topically, and internally in your yoga classes. Essential oils enhance the emotional support and therapy that yoga provides. Adabelle says, “Essential oils create a bridge for both the novice and the expert who may have been doing yoga for a long time, but was never taught the purpose behind it. By using the essential oils, they can bridge that gap. When you breathe them in, you get it.”
Other ways to use essential oils for yoga:
DIY: Lavender Eye Pillow
½ cup dried lavender flowers
¼ cup flax seed
5-7 drops Lavender essential oil
28” x 4” pieces of fabric
Sew the fabric together and leave one short side open for filling, then fill the center with lavender flowers and flax seed. Place the Lavender essential oil on the inside of the pillow as well. To finish, close the open side with a sewing machine or by hand stitching.
¼ cup or 20 grams fresh henna powder
¼ cup lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons essential oil of your choosing
**Want to henna your hair? Check out how I do it HERE
Have questions? Need help deciding whats best for you?
Email me [email protected] and I’ll be in touch very soon. Happy oiling! I look forward to working with you!