How to Dry brush with Essential Oils
Dry brushing is inexpensive, easy to do and takes only a few minutes a day yet it yields a long list of health benefits. When you dry brush with essential oils the benefits are even greater! The practice of dry brushing has been around a long time but it’s make a come back as part of natural and holistic healthcare.
Why dry brush?
You’ve probably heard that our skin is our largest organ – one third of our toxins are excreted through the skin. It’s important to take very good care of our skin and also to be aware of the way our body detoxes and support that process as well. Dry brushing does both! And dry brushing with essential oils does even more for our body systems and processes. When we are young our skin is very good at taking care of this process itself. But as we age it needs our help. So let’s learn more.
Here are some of the top benefits of dry brushing:
- Remove dead skin for a fresh glow
- Stimulates the lymphatic system
- Rejuvenate the nervous system
- Accelerates toxin elimination
- Improves circulation
- Exfoliates and invigorates skin
- Can smooth cellulite
Lymphatic system: The lymphatic system is a network of very small tubes that drain lymph fluid from all over the body similar to the way blood is moved around our body in our veins. The main lymph tissue is located in the bone marrow, spleen, thymus gland, lymph nodes, and the tonsils. but the heart, lungs, intestines, liver, and skin also contain lymphatic tissue. So taking care of our skin is part of taking care of our lymphatic system and both are key to vibrant health. Plus the lymphatic system stimulates hormone production = a metabolism boost! Taking care of our lymphatic system is key to a healthy hormonal balance and consequently, a healthy weight.
Why dry brush with essential oils?
We know that essential oils are amazing for the skin and for our bodies in general. Adding essential oils to your dry brushing routine will make it even more invigorating and beneficial for your health. Plus it will smell incredibl and give you all of the benefits of aromatherapy.
If you dry brush with essential oils you get these added benefits:
- Relieving stress
- Calming anxious feelings
- Further stimulating the lymphatic system
- Natural energy
How to Dry Brush with Essential Oils
Dry brush daily, ideally before you shower. There are a LOT of different theories and instructions out there when it comes to dry brushing. There is no way to cover it all but here is what I recommend from what I’ve researched:
- Choose a long brush with natural fibers
- Add a few drops of the essential oils of your choice
- Start by stimulating your “lymphatic pumps” at the collarbone. Use circular motions.
- Do 7 clockwise and counterclockwise circles in each armpits
- Use long or circular strokes, always towards the heart, going from the wrists to armpit and up legs towards heart.
- Brush repeatedly in each area, overlapping your strokes. I count to 7.
- Avoid any broken skin or varicose veins
- Clean the brush at least once a week using On Guard foaming hand soap
Dry brushing video. This is the one I learned with:
Advanced dry brushing video: Here is an older video of Green Smoothie girl interviewing an expert in lymphatic drainage – it’s very detailed and fascinating! Use this you want to be more particular in your dry brushing practice. Video Link
Here’s one example of a dry brush pattern from :
Best essential oils for dry brushing*:
Essential oils to decrease water retention:
Essential oil to tone skin:
Essential oils for natural energy:
Essential oils for calming and stress-reducing :
Essential oils for detox support:
* Avoid using any hot oils while dry brushing as skin irritation could occur (oregano, cinnamon, cassia, thyme, etc)
Final tips for the best dry brushing with essential oils experience:
- Be gentle. You don’t need to push hard, protect your skin by using gentle strokes.
- Remember to clean your brush at least once a week
- If you have sensitive skin dry brush less often if its irritating
- Make sure to dilute your essential oils
- Relax and enjoy your time nurturing your body while dry brushing with essential oils. Take some deep breaths in and be proud of yourself for practicing daily self care!
- Avoid using exfoliants in the shower after dry brushing as this could irritate the skin
Guess who loves dry brushing with essential oils??? One of DoTERRA’s owners, Emily Wright! Check out her Facebook post about dry brushing with essential oils:
Here’s a great brush that is only $8.95
I hope that inspires and guides you to jump in and make dry brushing part of how you daily keep your body working well. Preventative care is worth the time and money you invest in yourself! How to purchase DoTERRA
Do you dry brush? Share your experiences with us below!
Have questions? Need help deciding whats best for you?
Email me [email protected] and I’ll be in touch very soon. Happy oiling! I look forward to working with you!