How to choose a Non Toxic mattress
“Non toxic mattress” – is that a thing??
Why does it matter??
What’s toxic in mattresses???
Maybe you think I’m crazy right now (you’re not the first). Or maybe you know that toxins can be in mattresses but you are exhausted from trying to figure out which non toxic mattress is the best? I have been researching, literally, for YEARS and I have answers for you!
First – Good sleep is vital. I had five babies in 9 years so I know – because I didn’t sleep. And my health suffered. Now at 38 I’m fighting hard to be the healthiest and strongest mom I can be. After sleeping on our Sleep Number mattress for 11 years I was DONE (hated it) and ready to find the perfect SAFE and comfortable bed.
Why is sleep so important?
- So your brain works. When you sleep your brain creates new pathways to help you learn and remember information. How cool is that?? So better sleep will help you think more clearly and remember more (hello “mom brain”).
- Emotional stability. When we are well-rested we are better able to control our emotions, have more patience, cope with change better and get along better with others.
- Better physical health. When you sleep enough your risk for obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke are decreased. Sleep helps your immune system function more optimally so that you are equipped to avoid or fight infection.
- Balanced Hormones. Sleeping 8 hours, ideally between 10pm-6am, is crucial to a properly functioning thyroid, adrenal glands and your hormonal system in general. Sleep also affects how your body reacts to insulin, the hormone that controls your blood sugar levels. So getting enough sleep is part of preventing diabetes as well.
(Don’t have time to read this whole article and just want to know what bed I choose? I choose Intellibed for safety and comfort and I LOVE it. Browse their site, call them at 888-435-2339 to ask questions and place an order with the code “HealingHomes” to get the best deal you will find anywhere! You’ll get 2 free contour pillows, a free Bamboo sleep set and a free mattress protector. Save $599-699! I paid for these myself but I love my readers so I got YOU an amazing deal. Expires Sept 21, 2017)
What chemicals can be in mattresses?
I hate breaking this kind of news to people – but you need to hear it. We spend a big chunk of our day in our bed. If there are chemicals outgassing from our mattresses then we are getting them in big doses. And unfortunately our chemical exposure gets worse the older it gets, not better. So this is important. Because these types of chemicals disrupt hormones, cause asthma and allergies and increase our toxic load.
- Flame retardants/PBDEs. All mattresses are required to be flame retardant and most use chemicals which OFF GAS into the air. They settle into dust but can also travel far and will accumulate in the human body (yikes!). This is very detrimental and causes long term health issues. (1) These chemicals are banned in many European countries.
- Formaldehyde/Melamine resin (contains formaldehyde) Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling chemical that is used in building materials and to produce many household products. Formaldehyde is often used in adhesives used to make mattresses or join layers of foam and as well as in chemicals used as flame retardants. At low levels some people may experience watery eyes; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. It is classified as a carcinogen and linked to several types of cancer (2).
- Boric Acid. This is sold at your local stores as roach poison. Mattress manufacturers add it as a powder into cotton fibers to help make the beds resistant to bugs. However just a tiny inhaled amount can cause health issues such as itching skin, difficult breathing, headache, coughing, wheezing, vomiting, etc. (5). No thanks!
Extra chemicals in baby mattresses:
- Antimony. This one is hard to learn about y’all. This metal is often used in the PVC coverings used on infant/toddler mattresses. Bodily fluids such a saliva and urine greatly increases the leaching of antimony from PVC. It turns out many babies who die from SIDS have high levels of his metal in their bodies (3). How heartbreaking is it to think our babies are sleeping on toxins that could kill them. I learned about this many, many years ago when my oldest children were babies. It seems logical that more babies die on their stomachs because they are closer to the mattress and inhaling more chemicals. We covered our little ones’ mattresses with a Babesafe cover to block these chemicals and metals. For $40 they are more than worth the peace of mind they afford. If you cant afford a non-toxic mattress for your baby please cover your baby’s mattress! Learn more here: babymattresscovers.com (non-affiliate link)
What chemicals in mattresses can do:
- Non-Diagnosed Sleep Disorders: Even though 1 in 5 Americans suffer from a sleep disorder, few
seek out help.
- Autism: Researchers are discovering that autism may be caused by a
combination of genetic and environmental factors.Learn more about autism and toxins here.
- SIDS: New research on SIDS shows that a toxic sleeping environment
may be a factor.Learn more about SIDS here.
- Asthma and Allergies:Scientists know that certain toxins are known to affect the
severity and intensity of some respiratory illnesses.Learn more about these toxins here.
- ADD/ADHD: Studies show a correlation between poor sleep and ADD/ADHD.
- Cancer: From pesticides to flame-retardants, what carcinogens are being
used to make mattresses? Learn more about cancer and toxins here. (4)
How to choose a non toxic mattress – more tips:
- Memory Foam – Memory foam requires extra chemicals to make it flexible, bounce back, etc. I personally avoided it completely even if a company claims to have a certification on their memory foam.
- Outgassing – if your new bed smells to high heaven that is NOT good, no matter how normal they tell you it is. It’s not normal. The bed we chose did not smell AT ALL. I snuck my face in it and I was so happy to smell nothing! I combed reviews and if they said the mattress smelled it was scratched off the list.
- “Organic” does not always mean safe. Even organic mattresses have to make their mattresses flame retardant. Yes – you could pay thousands for a fancy, organic mattress that is sprayed with chemicals. Thank you US government. **Tip: A health-conscious mattress company will use a “sleeve” made of natural materials that goes over the combustible materials and makes them flame retardant vs. chemical sprays.
- EMF exposure – Some claim spring coils can attract EMF waves and disrupt our body systems and cause cancer. ** Tip: Turn off your wifi routers at night. Especially avoid springs in beds that are close to the main wire that your internet comes into your house through. Choose individually wrapped coils transmit much less EMFs. Exposure will vary greatly depending on your location.
- Foam and glue – There are a lot of “natural” and “non-toxic” claims for foam out there with little truth behind them. Consider not only what’s in the foam but what they are gluing the layers together with. The more layers the more glue they need.
What about Latex?
There are two types of Latex materials produced – a natural form made from tree sap and synthetic latex. Either type can be made using either the Talalay or Dunlop process with the Talalay process considered superior because it produces a longer-lasting latex. Due to the cost of producing natural latex, many mattresses sold are actually a blend of natural and synthetic. A Talalay mattress that is made from only natural latex will start around $5,000. If considering a latex mattress for health reasons made sure they only use natural latex. What I found in my research is that latex mattresses, while supportive, are too firm for many, very HOT to sleep on and not as long-lasting as other natural options. They are also very expensive compared to other options (5)
My non toxic mattress shopping priorities:
- ALL materials use are as non-toxic as possible, no outgassing, no chemicals
- Mattress is comfortable and supportive for pressure points
- Keeps the back and neck in alignment
- Gives us a great night’s sleep.
Why we chose Intellibed:
- There is a 60-day, risk-free trial period
- There are NO PBDEs, formaldehyde, fire retardants or any other known toxins in their mattresses
- Their patented Gel Matrix is 100% non-toxic, hypoallergenic and anti-microbial meaning that bacteria doesn’t grow on it. It is also up to 80% more pressure relieving so pressure points are supported
- You sleep closest to the Gel, not the foam.
- There is ZERO out gassing with Gel Matrix (yay!) and ZERO smell
- The glue they use is water-based and non-toxic
- They only use top quality polyurethane foam with a CertiPUR certification which ensures that the materials are the safest and cleanest polyurethane foams on the market
- They do NOT use white powder on their gel like Purple mattress does. This “powder” is ground up plastic and I personally did not want to risk any respiratory effects (see below)
More reasons we love Intellibed:
- Gel Matrix’s main ingredient is unscented food-grade mineral oil (don’t eat your bed and you’re safe)
- The foam used in the bed comprises 10% or less of the mattress and is extremely low VOC at .5 parts per million (.1 ppm is considered safe)
- The lo-motion/Azure option includes individually wrapped springs which some believe greatly reduces conduction of EMF waves. It’s also beneath the gel and foam so further from our bodies and blocked.
- In their baby and child’s beds they are able to make a mattress that is entirely foam free using our hospital tested, 100% non-toxic Gel Matrix, a silica fire-blocker, steel springs and an organic cotton cover
- The Gel Matrix material keeps you from getting hot like foam and latex
- Intellibed offers financing with no interest for 12-18 months (call 888-435-2339 for info)
Check out what the Gel Matrix looks like and how it responds to weight here. This is an older video but it gives you a neat idea what of the gel is like:
Purple mattress vs Intellibed:
The gel technology in these two company’s beds are similar so here are the differences:
- Because the Purple mattress comes rolled and vacuum sealed they add a plastic powder to keep the gel from sticking to itself. This was not acceptable for me since the dangers of inhaling this powder is unknown. Watch this review from Honest Mattress Reviews who was sued for posting online and asking Purple what the powder is. He shows you how easy it is to inhale this powder through the cover Click here
- Intellibed does not come rolled up. It is delivered and set up in your room for you and they use NO POWDER.
- Intellibed holds the original patent on the gel matrix technology
- The Purple mattress is 15% different to not violate the patent and contains injected air instead which makes it less supportive and less durable
- Intellibed has a 30 year warranty vs Purple’s 10 year warranty
Why didn’t we love our Sleep Number bed?
- We originally got it because Steve likes a very firm mattress and I like a very soft mattress. His number was 100 and mine was 30. Because of the difference I always felt like I was sleeping on the side of a hill. That feeling drove me crazy!
- The Sleep Number bed is NOT a non toxic mattress. It definitely smelled and outgassed when we first got it (and I was pregnant – yikes!)
- We had to replace the pump just a few years into owning it. Just a few years later the foam on the sides was completely broken down and we had to replace that (fresh toxins). Even though it was “under warranty” we had to pay a prorated amount.
- While my back pain was relieved at first, over time as it broke down, I was waking up with tremendous back and neck pain.
- Finally one side just stopped filling up with air. It was so terrible! That’s when we knew it was time to finally invest in something new.
We love our Intellibed!
After years of researching and reading review after review, I’m so thankful to finally have a safe, non toxic mattress. We LOVE our Azure from Intellibed. I have a confession …. sometimes when I get into my Intellibed at night I tell it I love it. That is always followed by “thank you Jesus”. I’m serious because I don’t wake up sore anymore!!! And I don’t worry that I’m sleeping on toxic soup. I’m so thankful to have found the perfect mattress for us. We also got the adjustable base and we love that too. It’s so nice to adjust it just how we like it and use the vibration setting as well. I was really skeptical about an adjustable base but we highly recommend it.
Because I love it so much I’ve teamed up with the nice folks at Intellibed to bring you the BEST deal you will find anywhere! Browse their site, call them at 888-435-2339 to ask questions and place an order with the code “HealingHomes” to get a FREE sleep set! You’ll get 2 free pillows, a free Bamboo sleep set and a free mattress protector. Save $599-699! I paid for these myself but I love my readers so I got YOU an amazing deal. Expires Sept 21, 2017
Can’t afford a non toxic mattress yet?
- Consider covering your mattress with a polythylene cover to block toxins (and definitely cover your baby’s mattress!). I’ll warn you this is a bit tedious for large beds, hot and not super comfortable. But if your health concerns are serious enough it be worth it. Make sure the cover has no other types of plastic (especially not PVC)
- Purchase a mattress topper from Intellibed until you can save for a full mattress
- Scrape, pinch and pull to make a clean, safe mattress a top priority. If you can afford to pay it back in the no-interest period, consider Intellibed’s financing options.
Trouble falling asleep?
Essential oils are (of course) our secret weapon. Click here to learn more about how to use doTERRA essential oils to fall sleep easier and stay asleep!
Do you have an Intellibed – tell us how much you love it! Questions are always welcomed. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll find it for you. Here’s to a safe, healthy, great night’s sleep!
Have questions? Need help deciding whats best for you?
Email me [email protected] and I’ll be in touch very soon. Happy oiling! I look forward to working with you!