How To Boost Your Immune System
1. Eat Well. *Diet is KEY*. We all know that. More whole foods – less junk. Just 1 tsp (4 grams) of sugar lowers the immune system for 4+ hours. So avoiding sugar (watch for it hidden even in yogurt, jelly, bread and sauces) can be a huge way to boost and strengthen your immune system. Any foods that are processed are hard to digest, often full of chemicals, dyes, pesticides, etc. and they take a toll on the body. Eating more whole foods, especially lots of raw fruits and vegetables, give the body what it needs to work optimally. I live in this crazy world too, I know its hard. But being mindful especially during the winter months is so important. Even small changes can make a big difference. For example add some Wild Orange and raw honey to some plain organic yogurt instead of buying the flavored type which is full of sugar. Or make your own oatmeal and add some Cinnamon essential oils or On Guard instead of buying pre-flavored packets (my kids love this!). Try some Lemon essential oil in sparking water instead of drinking soda. It’s easy and fun!
*Taking a probiotic daily helps keep good flora strong in the gut, where 70% of the immune system is based.
2. Rest. Easy to say, hard to do. This is the most challenging one for me because Im addicted to that quiet that comes when everyone is finally sleep. Ideally we should be asleep by 10pm (Its 11pm right now – fail) and sleep 8 hours. Its not easy, but its something to aim for. I use Cedarwood every single night to help my brain shut off so I can sleep. Other favorites are Serenity, Vetiver and Balance blend.
3. Stress. Reduce stress – another easy task. Ok, not really. We live in a stressful world. It is there even more important that we carve out at least 5-10 mins each day to have time to focus, pray, sit quietly or listen to some favorite music. I love to do yoga, its so relaxing for me and forces me to breathe deeply and slow down. But I can only do yoga a few days a week – however, I can get out my essential oils any time I want for a quick stress-relief! I usually choose something like Citrus Bliss or Serenity, put a drop in my hands, and take a few minutes to breathe deeply (I wish you could scratch-n-sniff the screen. Seriously). It is profound the effect this can have on the mind. Do it every day for less stress and a stronger immune system. Diffusing some cheerful oils throughout the day also helps tremendously.
4. Eliminate Toxins. Toxins are everywhere, we breathe them in every day and some of it we have no control over. But there are a lot of easy ways to reduce toxins in your home using doTERRA essential oils. This is one of my favorite things to teach about. Want to get started right away? Read the labels of the things you use daily, see how many products you use with “fragrance” in the label and work to eliminate them. This is a HUGE gift to your health. Add some Myrrh essential oil to some coconut oil for a toxin-free moisturizer, or run a diffuser instead of burning a candle. Simple changes like this can make a big difference in your health.
5. On Guard. YUM. This stuff smells amazing – Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Wild Orange. We diffuse On Guard all year long to cleanse the air, but for Fall/Winter, its even more perfect to diffuse. Your home will smell lovely without the chemicals candles put out, and you’ll be boosting your immune system as well. Did you know you cannot build up a resistance to essential oils, even if you use them every day? Apply OnGuard every day to the bottom of the feet to help support the immune system. We even make our own OnGuard hand cleaning spray (great for spraying cart handles, restaurant tables, etc).
doTERRA has a whole OnGuard line that we LOVE – toothpaste, soft gels taken for targeted as-needed immune support, essential oil beadlets, an amazing cleaning concentrate, protecting throat drops and even laundry detergent! We love them all and use them often.
Let’s make this our healthiest winter yet! Lets support our bodies naturally, build them up, so we can as healthy as possible. There are so many natural ways to support the body with essential oils.
Having essential oils means you are EMPOWERED.
Want to learn more about how to get doTERRA into your home? Learn more here
Have questions? Need help deciding whats best for you?
Email me [email protected] and I’ll be in touch very soon. Happy oiling! I look forward to working with you!